Thursday 12 May 2011

Another foreigner with a big mouth

Nothing irks me more than when some foreigner runs his mouth off about how lucky Singaporeans are yada yada yada without knowing our history.
Nothing irks me even more when our local media publish every pro-PAP comment no matter how ridiculous they are.
How about more coverage on Aljunied GRC's transition? That's national news worthy of precious ink.

A dude from somewhere nearby, obviously across the Causeway, sees fit to give us a lecture on "gratitude".

Newsflash! Efficiency does not always equate to happiness.
Cuba and N.Korea are pretty efficient regimes, at least to their supporters but that doesn't mean that ordinary citizens wouldn't jump at the chance to migrate to US or S.Korea?

Sure Malaysia isn't as efficient and safe as Singapore but alot of middle class Malaysians seem a whole lot happier, can afford a proper house and a car with average salaries.
Indeed, a survey by Gallup World Poll on happiest countries in the world places Singapore in an unflattering 81st position. Even inefficient Pakistan and Botswana are ranked above us.

Mr. Yeo, be thankful you are in the enviable position of having choices. You always have Malaysia to fall back on while Singaporeans don't. You earn in S$ and spend in Ringgit when you decide to go home.
We know that Chinese Malaysians may suffer some form of discrimination but Singaporeans are increasingly being treated like second class citizens too---only difference is it's happening in our own backyard!

Having choices is a liberating and assuring feeling.

So to answer your little teaser, yes I would like to exchange places with you.
And make no mistake there is absolutely zero tolerance when government policies contribute to the marginalisation of our poor and less fortunate in society and the relentless squeezing of the middle class. By the way, it's not karma that got them there.

Therefore, please continue to refrain from making any comments to Singaporeans even after the elections.


Unhappy? Swap places with me
Letter from Matthew Yeo
I refer to the statement made by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew in your report on May 9. I am a professional working in Singapore on an Employment Pass and I come from a nearby country. I have refrained from making any comments to my Singaporean friends in the run-up to the General Election because being a non-voter, I believe I should be neutral. But I am aware of all the issues being thrown about: High cost of living, overcrowding, entry of many foreigners, the hot property market, etc.

My personal view is that the present government, although not perfect, has done very well in comparison to other neighbouring countries, and indeed globally. We see a society here that is relatively safe, stable, has a good standard of living, that prepares its younger generation for the future by having a world-class education system and a thriving economy.

Singaporeans must come out of this complaining, molly-coddled mindset, and I think part of this syndrome is because the efficiency of this society has spoiled them so that they are less tolerant. Please compare this country to where I come from: There is rampant corruption, social injustice, religious and racial bigotry, indecisiveness and opaque governance, to name a few things. The list goes on.

To the unhappy and discontented Singaporeans, exchange places with me. I would only be too happy to make this my permanent home.

1 comment:

  1. Agree. These people have no place here

    ReplyDelete