Wednesday 4 May 2011

What's wrong with our education system?

From a friend of mine, a dedicated teacher, yes, a civil servant:

On paper, it appears that our education system is the envy of many around the world. The products of the system routinely outscore their peers in internationally renowned mathematics and science tests. But I wonder is that how success is measured? Success is now merely determined by digits, figures and statistics.


One of the greatest problems I feel having taught in one of the top schools in Singapore is that how the pressure of academic success is stifling the pursuit of creativity and joy in learning. More students are fixated with scoring that perfect slate of distinctions rather than the actual process of getting there. Imagine having students break down openly because they only scored 3 distinctions out of 4 A level subjects.


Seriously, these people need a reality check. Such results would give the opportunity to apply to any top university in the world, and here they are feeling despondent over their failure to get a 'perfect' score. Obsession with perfection is a serious poblem especially in schools where stakes are high.


Another problem seems to be the general lack of resilience and gratitude evident in many teenagers today. I also have friends who teach in other schools and they feel that teenagers today are no longer resilient. Many are easily disheartened at setbacks and give up easily at the slightest hint of failure. For one, we had many students asking to switch subject combinations just because 'I cannot cope', 'I don't like my subjects'. I wonder what happened to rational decision-making. Character education is also becoming a pertinent concern in many schools. Tales of students showing open defiance to teachers abound in many schools. I wonder what's the point of having sterling academic achievements when one's character is flawed.


No one is perfect of course, but when such errant behaviour is becoming prevalent, then I worry about the products of the system. I recall one incident in the school cafe which the manager related to me. He asked a girl to move aside to allow others to quickly purchase milk from a fridge explaining to her that her peers might be rushing for class. She retorted, "Rushing for class, what's the big deal?' I was totally flabbergasted at that kind of behaviour. Frankly, I am saddened by this... and this kind of incident is not the first time. My colleagues also point out the general lack of EQ and sense of gratitude and care for others.
The system has indeed created many academically able students but the soft skills are increasingly relegated whether by design or choice because one's worth/fate is still determined by the paper qualifications. Like it or not, that I think still rings true. That's all I can think of now. Will add on in another message if some more stuff strikes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment